What is Obedience?
• By obeying God’s words (Exodus 19: 5; Jeremiah 7: 23)
• By obeying spiritual authority (1 Thessalonians 5: 12 – 13)
• By obeying constituted authority (1 Peter 2: 13 – 14)
How does Obedience affect our Spiritual Life?
1. Obedience is essential to worship (1 Samuel 15: 22; John 4: 23-24)
2. The obedience of faith brings about salvation (Romans 1: 5;10:16-17)
3. Obedience secures God’s blessings (John 14: 23; 1 John 2: 17; Rev. 22: 14)
4. Spiritual insight is gained through obedience ( John 7: 17)
5. A life of obedience to God is the fruit of faith (James 2: 21-26)
6. True obedience means imitating God in holiness, humility and love (1 Peter 1: 15; John 13:34; Philippians 2: 5-8)
7. True disciples do the will of God (Matthew 7: 21). Even Jesus was obedient to the will of His Father even unto death on the cross (Philippians 2: 8-9)
8. Delayed obedience is disobedience (Matthew 21: 28-31)
What motivates us to obey God?
1. Obedience springs from gratitude for grace received (Romans 12: 12)
2. Christians obey God as an expression of their spiritual freedom (Galatians 5: 13; 1 Peter 2: 16)
3. Our love for God motivates us to obey Him (John 4: 21,23,24 ; 15: 10)
Examples of people who obeyed
The obedience of Abraham is perhaps the most exemplary in the Old Testament. On two occasions, he demonstrated total submission to God’s will. First, he obeyed God’s command to go to a new land (Genesis 12). This response meant leaving Ur of the Chaldees, a highly developed city, to go to unknown, unfamiliar land that God would show to him, “the land of Canaan”. Abraham’s obedience results in his being elected a chosen one for a special role in God’s salvation plan for human kind. Second, he obeyed God to offer his son as a sacrifice (Genesis 22: 1-19).
b. Esther (Esther 2: 15)
Esther was the daughter of Abihail, the uncle of Mordecai who adopted her as his own daughter. When her turn came to go to the King, she did not ask for anything except what Hegai, the kings trusted official in charge of the harem, suggested. Esther won approval in the sight of everyone who saw her.
She never made extra demands apart from what Hegai gave to her. Her character shows that she has being thought to be obedient.
c. Jesus Christ
The New Testament places special emphasis on Jesus’ obedience. A desire to obey the will of God motivated Jesus’ actions (Luke 4:43; John 5:30). Jesus acted and spoke only as the Father directed (John 3: 34). By living a life of obedience, Jesus showed himself to be the Savior (Hebrews 5: 7-10). Christ’s work on the cross is viewed as a sacrifice of obedience (Romans 5: 19; Hebrews10: 7-10, Philippians 2: 8-9).
Rewards of Obedience (Deuteronomy 28: 1-14)
• Long life
Consequence of Disobedience (Deuteronomy 28: 15)
The only way to experience all that God has for us is to walk in complete obedience. Obedience is the key to supernatural protection and provision for us, our families and our nation. After all, he made us; He owns us and has the right to command us. Our obedience to Him should not require us striving to follow a list of rules or struggling hard in our own efforts. For when God has first place in our heart, obeying His voice will flow naturally out of love for Him. Obedience is a weapon (Isaiah 38: 3).
1. Father, release the grace for me to obey your Word in every area of my life. (John 15:7).
2. Father, I ask for mercy in any way I have disobeyed your Word or delayed in obeying them. (2 Corinthians 12: 9).